We aim to take the boys back in time to the Ancient World, and especially the Romans and their Empire.
The principal aim is to give the boys an introduction to Latin, and to prepare scholarship candidates for the Latin Paper - most of the senior schools still very much welcome candidates who are able to offer Latin and the course provides excellent preparation for boys wishing to study the subject in Year 9 onwards. As part of this process the department hopes to:
- Emphasise the impact the Roman legacy has had on the development of Western
- Europe and hence the Modern World
- Introduce the Latin language in a way that makes it relevant to a wider curriculum
- Teach boys how to read and write Latin so as to bring this ancient language to life
- Help develop the boys’ problem-solving skills
- Ensure that the boys have fun studying this vibrant subject
Latin is offered as an alternative to Spanish for boys in Year 6 and above.